What are the qualifications to become a highly qualified paraprofessional?

An individual must either have an associate's degree, two years of college coursework from an institute of higher education or successfully pass the ParaPro Assessment.

How do I register to take the Parapro Assessment test at MVESC?

An individual may call 740-452-4518, ext. 107 or e-mail diane.jones@mvesc.org at the Zanesville Office. At the New Lexington Regional Office, individuals may call 740-342-3502 for an appointment. The cost is $60.

Is there a study guide available to help me prepare for the ParaPro Assessment?

Yes, a guide can be borrowed from the Coshocton Office (740-622-2924), New Lexington Office (740-342-3502) or Zanesville office (740-452-4518).

How do I obtain an initial educational aide permit?

One may obtain an initial educational aide permit by applying online through ODE's website (see link below) and completing the steps for an initial educational aide permit. You must pay the fee for your permit via a major credit card and indicate 125252, Muskingum Valley ESC, as the electronic approval organization. You also must have current BCI/FBI checks ($60), an MVESC application and location sheet. For more info, call 740-452-4518 (Zanes), 740-342-3502 (New Lex) or Cosh (740-622-2924).
[Read More]

How do I renew my educational aide permit?

One may renew a permit by applying online through ODE's website (link below) and following the directions to renew an educational aide permit. You must pay the fee for your aide permit via a credit card and indicate 125252, Muskingum Valley ESC, as the electronic approval organization. You also will need an FBI background check if your current FBI check is more than five years old. Call 740-452-4518 (Zanesville), 740-342-3502 (New Lexington) or 740-622-2924 (Coshocton) for more information.
[Read More]

How do I substitute teach in the Muskingum Valley ESC Service Area?

One would need a current teaching license or 4-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university. Substitute teacher applications and directions are online at ODE's website (link below). You must pay the license fee with a credit card; list 125252, Muskingum Valley ESC, as the electronic approval organization; and have current BCI/FBI background checks ($60), a completed MVESC application and location sheet. Call 740-452-4518 (Z), 740-342-3502 (NL) or 740-622-2924 (C) for more info.
[Read More]

How do I substitute teach in the Coshocton County schools?

An individual would need a current teaching certificate/license or have a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. To apply, you will need official transcripts showing your bachelor's degree, complete the application with a check for $25.00 to Treasurer, State of Ohio and have a current BCI and FBI background check. You can complete this process by contacting Becky Eick at 740-622-2924.

Will I need a BCI/FBI background check to renew my license?

An applicant's BCI check must be on file at the Ohio Department of Education and an FBI check must be renewed every five years.

How much does it cost for a background check?

The BCI costs $35 and the FBI costs $30.

When are background checks available at the MVESC regional offices?

Background checks can be completed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m at all MVESC locations. Please contact the Coshocton office at 740-622-2924 or the New Lexington office at 740-342-3502 prior to your visit to schedule an appointment.


County Connections Preschool

How do I apply to get my child enrolled in the Muskingum Valley Preschool - Muskingum County program?

Complete the application and turn in the required attachments to MVESC. You will be contacted about the enrollment status of your child once your application is received. All required forms can be downloaded from the 'Read More' link below.
[Read More]

I need a copy of the parent handbook.

The Muskingum Valley Preschool-Muskingum County parent handbook can be accessed by clicking the link below.
[Read More]

What do preschoolers learn?

The Ohio Department of Education has developed Early Learning Content Standards for preschool children. The standards describe what children should know and be able to do at the end of their preschool years. To view the preschool Early Learning Content Standards click the "read more" link.
[Read More]

Elementary Autism

What is the focus of the elementary autism program?

The development of communication skills is the focus of our approach. Students are taught a dedicated curriculum that targets skills important for students with autism to exhibit, as well as Ohio academic content standards. As part of our program, we also focus on appropriate behavior and the development of independent routines for a classroom setting. These efforts are designed to give students a better opportunity to integrate into regular school placements in the future.
[Read More]

What advantages are there for placing several students with autism together in one classroom?

Students with autism need an intensive level of intervention for a majority of the school day in order to make progress. In addition, since very specialized training is required to implement the academic and behavioral requirements of such a program for autism, it is often not possible to replicate such a level of support for one or two students in a regular school placement. Using this model, our experienced staff is prepared for most circumstances that arise.
[Read More]

What are the criteria for being in the elementary autism program?

While the main criterion for entering the elementary autism program is that the student has a diagnosis of Autism, a team of professionals will make the final determination of appropriateness for our classroom. Students with severe cognitive deficits may be better served in a multiple disabilities classroom.
[Read More]

What is the makeup of the elementary autism program?

The elementary autism program is designed to address the needs of students from kindergarten to second grade. A teacher and four behavior technicians provide services to approximately seven children with moderate to severe autism. The classroom is supervised by two MVESC school psychologists who provide behavioral support, conduct evaluation activities and coordinate professional development.
[Read More]

Where do students go after leaving the elementary autism program?

At the end of second grade (if not sooner), a transition decision is made to determine what will be the most appropriate placement for the future. Since there are currently no self-contained, autism classrooms beyond the second-grade level, students in our program either transition back to their neighborhood school or to a self-contained, multiple disabilities classroom. For students transitioning back to their neighborhood school, a plan is locally developed to best serve these students.
[Read More]

Little Feats/Big Leaps

Who is eligible to receive services in the Little Feats/Big Leaps Program?

Little Feats/Big Leaps is a preschool special education program operated by the Muskingum Valley Educational Service Center. It is a cooperative venture between the five local districts in Muskingum County, Zanesville City Schools and Morgan Local School District. Preschool children living in these districts who have been diagnosed with autism and have IEPs that indicate the need for the level of specialized education provided in the program are eligible to receive services.

Who makes the diagnosis of autism for the children served by your program?

Each school district is responsible for identifying children with educational disabilities including autism. MVESC provides evaluation and diagnostic services for all of the districts in Muskingum and Morgan Counties. Parents sometimes obtain evaluations from private providers and other agencies. This information is always taken into consideration by the child's evaluation team. When there is conflicting data, the team makes the eligibility determination for the program.

How many hours per week do the children receive services?

Children who are served full time in the Little Feats classroom attend up to five full days per week. Children in the Big Leaps classroom attend up to four full days per week. The length of time, number of days, and location of services that each child receives is individualized and specified in his or her IEP.

What is the cost to parents for having a child enrolled in your program?

The Little Feats/Big Leaps program is paid for by the participating public school districts. There is no cost to parents.

Preschool Curriculum

How will my child's learning progress be reported to me?

Muskingum Vallely Preschool programs have a progress report for all children enrolled. Parents are asked to give input into the progress report regarding what their child knows and is able to do at home. If your child has a disability, you will also receive a special progress report that addresses your child's Individual Education Program Goals and Objectives. Both reports are disseminated according to the school district schedule for all students.

I would like to know more about the tools used in the curriculum.

To review the research-based curriculum tools that are used to guide the planning of appropriate and meaningful learning and experiences that are aligned with the Ohio Early Learning and Development Standards, please click the link below.
[Read More]

I would like to know exactly what my child is expected to learn.

To review the Ohio Early Learning and Development Standards for preschool children, please refer to the page linked below.
[Read More]

Preschool Special Education

How do I refer my child for a multi-factored evaluation? What is the process for finding out if my child has a disability?

If you live in one of the districts mentioned above and suspect your preschool student may have a delay, please contact Stacy Stoneburner at 740-452-4518 or stacy.stoneburner@mvesc.org. Stacy will assign a Preschool Special Education Itinerant Teacher to begin the intake process for your child. The first step will be a home visit to gather background information and complete screenings with your child. The itinerant teacher will share the next steps of the process with you at this time.
[Read More]

What are my rights as a parent if my child is suspected of or has a disability?

The Ohio Department of Education has developed a booklet for parents explaining the process of identifying and serving children with disabilities according to the requirements of the IDEA. The booklet is called "A Guide to Parent Rights in Special Education."
[Read More]

Psychology Services

Who is eligible to receive services from a school psychologist?

Any students or parents of students who are enrolled in one of the school districts in MVESC's service area are eligible for the services of one of our school psychologists. The best way to obtain services is to work with your child's teacher and principal to determine if the school psychologist can assist with the problem your child is having.

What is the cost for school psychological services?

There is no charge to the parents. The services are provided by your local school district and are funded by state and local funds.

If I think my child has a disorder, such as hyperactivity or autism, do I have to get a medical doctor to make a diagnosis?

As a parent, you should seek the advice of any experts you think can help you better understand your child's problems and needs. School psychologists can assist you as part of a school evaluation team that can investigate problems your child is having at school and develop an educational plan to improve his or her learning experience. School psychologists are qualified to evaluate and diagnose any educationally-related learning problems your child may have.

How can the school psychologist help when my child is having academic problems at school?

If your child is having a problem in reading, math or other academic area, you or your child's teacher may ask for help from the school's Intervention Assistance Team. The school psychologist is often a member of this team. He or she provides guidance concerning possible interventions to address the academic problem and ways to assess how much progress your child is making while receiving the interventions.

Is testing of any value for students with behavioral difficulties in the classroom?

School psychologists are often involved in helping parents and teachers deal with the behavioral issues that students present. When students have behavioral problems in school, gaining an understanding of the nature of the problem is the first step in deciding what to do. Often increasing incentives or reinforcement for displaying appropriate behavior is sufficient to improve the situation.
[Read More]

Parent Mentor

What is a Parent Mentor?

A Parent Mentor is the parent of a child with a disability who is available to help families and school districts by providing information, support and training. Parents may call the Parent Mentor if they are afraid to ask questions at the Individualized Education Program or Evaluation Team Report meeting; if their child is not doing well in school, and they don't know what to do; if they have a school problem and don't know whom to call; if they just need someone to talk with who understands.

What should I do if my child is having difficulty learning in school?

You may contact the teacher to discuss your concerns and provide information that might be helpful, ask a Parent Mentor for assistance, suggest a meeting to help determine if your child is suspected of having a disability.

What will the school do if the teacher reports that my child is having difficulty learning in school?

The school may contact you for information, attempt different teaching strategies with your child and document the results; use an Intervention Assistance Team (IAT) to generate ideas for teaching your child and record the results; and/or schedule a meeting with you to determine if your child has a disability. Parents may find more information by viewing the most frequently asked questions at www.edresourcesohio.org. "Whose Idea is This?" also has an FAQ section.


What products can the Tech Department help me acquire at a discounted rate?

Volume discount pricing is available on the following products: Video Streaming Subscriptions from Discovery Education, Mimio Interactive Whiteboard Solutions and Turning Point Classroom Response Systems.
[Read More]

How do I contact someone regarding Technology needs or concerns?

Contact information can be found on the Technology Staff page.
[Read More]

When do Technology Coordinators meet?

MVESC Area Technology Coordinators meet monthly on the second Monday of each month at 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the MVESC. A virtual regional meeting for Technology Coordinators within State Support Team Region 12 takes place at 10 a.m. following the local meeting.